Tuesday 14 October 2014

Getting Started

I've never blogged before but after reading other people's that are associated to the MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) that I'm doing, called 'learning How To Learn', a Coursera course by the Uc San Diego, i saw it as a great way to log my learning and do my final assignment at the same time. What fun.

Link to the course: https://class.coursera.org/learning-002

A Bit of Background
I'm at least 48 years old with a wonderful wife, two wonderful children (now all grown up) and a lust for life and learning. I'm currently working with a Charity who supports people with a Learning difficulty, I've been with them for over 24 years now and still enjoy my working life a lot. I have the role of a Practice Development Advisor which means that I work across a large area of southern England visiting places where we support people and meeting with the Staff and managers who support them.

Why I Started this Course
I love learning new things, it seems to keep me more interested in the world around me, it's also true the other way around, the world around me keeps me interested in learning. Working with mostly adults who have Learning Difficulties also drives me to understand more about how we function from day to day and what are the important things in life.
When I spotted this course it seemed just the right thing to do right now. As I had a difficult time at school in the 1970's I never really got the hang of learning, most of it washed over me, except for the practical subjects like Art, Ceramics and Carpentry.
I didn't know what to expect, how I would do, how hard it would be or even if I had the capacity in my life to do it.

What I would like to do with the learning from this course is apply it to my job. I work with our amazing staff teams and managers to give the best possible support to (mainly) Adults who have a learning difficulty. It involves training, discussions, meetings and most fun of all, problem solving when behaviours that challenge us arise, which is quite often for some teams. So I'm 'Blogging' to this end.


No comments:

Post a Comment